“I just found this crazy free After Effects preset called Ouroboros. It’s incredibly useful for infographics, which I’ve been doing a lot of lately. It’s based on shape layers and has a ton of sliders you can modify to come up with really creative and easy animations. Just do yourself a favor and watch their demo video, then go grab this tool for your arsenal.” – Joren Kandel | The Pixel Lab
Quba HQ is giving away a Free After Effects color correction tool: QHQ Channel Splitter. It comes with a tutorial, presets, and actions! Quba Michalski explains, “Color grading using Curves, Levels and other RGB tools always felt quite counter-intuitive to me. That’s why I decided to create QHQ Channel Splitter – an After Effects script and Photoshop action for automatic splitting of the image/footage into discrete RGB or CMY channels. Channel Splitter can change the way you experiment with color correction as well as open a brand new way of color grading through changing the “inks” rather than the channel values.”
Below is a 38 minute tutorial explaining how to use the tool.
According to Wikipedia, “Anamorphic format refers to the cinematography technique of shooting a widescreen picture on standard 35 mm film or other visual recording media with a non-widescreen native aspect ratio.” [wikipedia.org: Anamorphic Format]
VashiVisuals has created a After Effects plug-in, VashiMorphic, that simulates the look of an 40mm Anamorphic lens and they’re giving it away for free.
Read more about the plug-in and download it from Vashi Visuals.
How about Anamorphic Flares?
Want to make something with the Star Trek or Transformers anamorphic flares look? VashiMorphic does not create lens flares or the “oblong out-of-focus areas” like an actual Anamorphic lens. Here are a few plug-ins you may want to try for tht.
- PHYX Flarelight – Add Lens Flares, Anamorphic Streaks, and industrial-strength Glows in After Effects, Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro / X and Motion.
- Video Copilot Optical Flares – Custom Lens Flare Generator, Over 100 Presets Including new Nuclear Presets + Conspiracy Presets, 70+ Photographic Textures & Anamorphic sprites, and much more.
- Red Giant Knoll Light Factory – With Knoll Light Factory 3, you get new features like realistic flare elements, time-saving animation behaviors, a redesigned interface, and over 100 beautifully designed presets. John Knoll’s new technology delivers the sexiness of lens flares while creating believable, accurate results. Also includes Knoll for Photoshop.
- Rampant Design Tools Studio Flares – real anamorphic flare effects.
- Here’s an old school anamorphic flare preset using AE Flare from Andrew Kramer at Video Copilot (pre Optical Flares).
- Boris Continuum Complete and GenArts Sapphire also contain a lot of nice flares. Check ’em out!
Note: PHYX, Knoll Light Factory, Boris Continuum Complete and GenArts Sapphire have free demos at Toolfarm.